The year 1898 saw the establishment in Komárno of the first shipbuilding works, originally for the repair of damaged barges and other vessels transporting goods along the Danube. Their favourable location by the left bank of that major European waterway, the Danube, and in the proximity of the rapidly prospering cities of Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest, guaranteed the successful development and stability of the shipyards, which soon began their own production of barges and ships.
This series of stamps depicts vessels presently in production at Slovak Shipyards in Komárno for the requirements of the Slovak Republic and, predominantly, for export - latterly in significant numbers.
The 10-Crown stamp features a passenger vessel for 400 people, pictured in dock in winter. The vessel displays code flag signals.