Date of Issue:
June 15, 1995
Postal Stationery Printing House, Prague
Rotary-recess printing combined with recess printing
|FDC Design:||František Horniak|
|Cancellation Design:||František Horniak|
|Printing:||Printing House Gerthoffer, Zohor|
|FDC Print Run:||10,000|
Nová Baňa - ancient mining free royal town
The earliest written reference to the community of Seunich and to mining itself dates from the year 1337. Rich deposits of gold ore gave impetus to its evolution and by the middle of the 14th century it was already an agglomeration with the characteristics of a town. Its destruction by the Turks in 1664, miners´ uprisings and problems of ground water were the main brakes on development. The problem of inundated shafts was to be addressed by an "atmospheric fire machine", constructed here - the first of its kind in Europe - in 1722. In 1723 a limited company was founded for the mining of gold. Unprofitability led to the closure of the mines in 1887.
Among the town´s architectural landmarks are the former town hall from the latter half of the 14th century (depicted on the stamp), the parish church and that of St. Elisabeth from 1391 and the Trinity statue from 1847 (also featured on the stamp).
|Copyright ©2000 askom|