On August 20th, 1848 the steam locomotive "Bihar" pulled the first train from Ganserndorf to Bratislava and thus initiated railway operation in Slovakia.
The first viable steam locomotive, "Locomotion", was built by the Englishman George Stephenson in 1814. It was an invention that was to undergo numerous modifications and to have a marked influence on the progress of mankind. In Slovakia steam locomotives were in use for 132 years, the final run being made by locomotive 556.036 on the Bratislava-Leopoldov section on October 17th, 1980. Slovakia's steam locomotives are now in the care of history and documentation centre of Slovak Railways.
The steam locomotive depicted - 310.433 - was built in 11896 in Budapes and until 1970 was in service at the Pohronsky Ruskov sugar refinery. Between 1979 and 1981 it was restored at the Svermove zeleziarne yards in Podbrezova with the help of enthusiasts. The locomotive is typical of a kind employed in track -laying in Slovakia at the beginning of the century. It weighed 29 tons, was 8,105 mm from buffer to buffer, and had water and coal capacities of 4.3m3 and 1.5 m3 respectively. Designated speed was 45 km/h and power system 120 kW.
The FDC depicts a water-supply system used for supplying staem locomotives.