The introduction of diesel locomotives to Slovakia began with passenger transport on local lines at the end of the 1920s. In the following decade the process was extended to main lines, and this continued into the 1950s, at which time there was major change-over to diesel for freight transport, of which locomotives T678.0 and T 679.0 were part.
The diesel locomotive depicted - M 120.4 - was produced between 1930 and 1935 at Tatra Koprivnice. The series numbered eighty-nine, the last being taken out of service in 1958. Design feautures includes a raised driver's cab and speaking tube to facilite communication between driver and line staff. Passenger cars of matching appearance were produced and these carried passengers on the nation's branch lines. The engine weighed 12.6 ton, and length from buffer to buffer was 10,530 mm. Designed speed was 50 km/h, and powe 74 kW.
The FDC depicts a station switching levers.