The history of the Technical University of Košice goes back to the Mining Academy of Banská Štiavnica (established in 1762) which represents an elementary technical college education in Slovakia. As the only college in Slovakia, it still develops the mining sciences. The State Technical College named after Dr. Milan Rastislav Štefánik was established during 1937 in Košice. The cause of the pre-war events in Europe as well as the Vienna arbitration, the college transferred to Bratislava. As the first technical college, it becomes the foundation for the Technical University of Bratislava.
In 1952 the Technical College of Košice was established with its full curriculum by the Government Act No. 30/1952. It had three basic faculties. Heavy Engineering Faculty (today the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering), Mining Faculty (today the Faculty of Mining, Ecology, Control and Geotechnology), and the Metallurgy Faculty (today the Faculty of Metallurgy). The Electrotechnical Faculty (today the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics) and the Faculty of Civil Engineering were established later.
The college was renamed to become the Technical University of Košice in 1991. The Faculty of Technical Studies (today the Faculty of Manufacturing Technologies) was established later in Prešov. After the establishment of the Faculty of Economics and the Faculty of Applied Arts (today the Faculty of Arts) the technical educational profile has changed. Presently, about 12 thousand students attend the 8 faculties of the university. More than 35 thousand students has graduated from the Technical University of Košice during the past 50 years of its existence.