Back in the 10th century Kremnica was one of the most important towns in Slovakia, mainly due to the Iarge reserves of gold and silver which were mined there. In 1328, King Karol Robert granted the town municipal privileges and a national mint was founded; indeed the mint is still in operation today.
The ducats, or florins, from the Kremnica mint have became the most sought after coins in Europe, and due to the fact that in the 14th century, the Kremnica mines produced more gold than any other European mine, the town was named the "Golden Town Kremnica".
Local trade subsequently flourished and the town had an abundant supply of craftsmen. For over 100 years Kremnica has had a school for the young with hearing impediments, it also has a college of applied arts.
In 1950, Kremnica was declared an Urban Conservation Area. The many historical monuments and cultural events attract numerous visitors every year.
Mayor of Kremnica