DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH PROTECTION AGAINST RADIATION
Transport of radioactive material
The transport of radioactive material in Slovakia has to be carried out in compliance not only with ADR/RID/AND but also with the Act No. 355/2007 Coll. On Protection, Support and Development of Public Health and on Amendments and Supplements to Certain Acts (hereinafter referred to as „ Act No 355/2007 Coll.“).
A license issued by the competent authority is required for all kind of shipments of radioactive material.
Hygiene´s Head Office of the Ministry of Transport and Construction of the Slovak republic is the competent authority according to § 3 Act No 355/2007 Coll. and Department of Health Protection against Radiation issues licenses for the transport of radioactive emitters, radioactive waste, spent nuclear fuel and radioactively contaminated objects which, due to their activity, cannot be released from under the administrative control in accordance with Section 45 paragraph 2 letter j) Act No 355/2007 Coll.
Licenses for the transport of radioactive materials in Slovakia are also required for activities performed by foreign companies with registered office or permanent address in another state.
The application shall be written in Slovakian language (Slovakian/English form) and all the files required to be submitted shall be translated either into Slovakian or English.
The applicant has a duty to state the following in the application form for the license of the transport of radioactive material:
- business name, legal form, registered office and identification number, if applicable, if the applicant is a legal person; the name, surname and place of business and identification number, if applicable, if the applicant is a natural person/entrepreneur;
- activity for which he/she applies for the authorization;
- place of performance of the activity;
- name, surname and permanent address of the person or persons who are the statutory body, if the applicant is a legal person;
- name, surname and permanent address of the qualified representative(radiation protection officer).
The applicant has a duty to submit the following files for the authorization process:
- extract from the Companies Register, extract from the Commercial Register or other similar register;
- the following documents of the qualified representative (radiation protection officer :
- attestation of full legal capacity;
- declaration on health competence for work with radioactive materials;
- extract from the criminal register which is to be not older than three months;
- certificate of professional competence for transport of radioactive material;
- specifications of the planned shipment(s) and technical equipment;
- documentation according to Annex No.4.
Documentation according to Annex No.4, item X.:
- reasoning of the transport,
- transport order including the mode of transport, itinerary and radiation safety measures
- description of the technical equipment for transportation, loading and unloading,
- risk evaluation based on the character of radioactive material, mode of transport and route,
- emergency plan,
- certificate of approval for the package(s),
- certificate of the technical ability of the vehicle,
- certificate of driver(s)´ training (ADR class 7).
Ministry of Transport and Construction of the Slovak Republic will issue the license if the application contains the requisite documentation, the applicant or his qualified representative meets the requirements as prescribed and the applicant has demonstrated compliance with requirements prescribed for securing the radiation protection. The authorization process takes at most 60 days and the license is valid indefinitely.
The fee charged for issuance the license for transport of radioactive material is 700 €, in accordance with Item No 150 of Act No 145/1995 Coll.
Ministry of Transport and Construction of the Slovak Republic
Department of Health Protection against Radiation
Mrs Darina Palenikova – Head of Department
phone:+421 2 594 94 707
mobile:+421 915 393 669
Ms Alena Bujnova – Radiation Protection Inspector
phone:+421 2 594 94 579
mobile:+421 918 825 079